Thursday, March 10, 2011

Pheonix: The Power of Pictures































I talk alot about the power of photography. I truly believe a good photographic image has value far beyond the printing cost. Hypothetically you often here , if my house was on fire the first thing I would grab would be the photos. Why, because photos are more than just images. They are snapshots in time. Refrains from a happy days gone by. Sign posts of your past.

This fact was illustrated to me, when I received a phone call from an old customer, Susan Johnson. Sadly Susan told me that her house had burned down in August. Fortunately, everyone was safe but they had lost everything in the fire. I sympathized greatly with Susan because one of my best friend's houses burned down when I was in college. There is no equating the sense of loss this tragedy can bring. Susan brought her three beautiful daughters for a sitting in 2004. Her question, of course, was do I still have copies of the photos she purchased in 2004. Luckily the one thing I am organized about is archiving my images. To my glee I quickly found the images from 2004. Calling her back and telling her I had the images was the happiest thing I've ever done as a photographer.

I look forward to Saturday when I get to meet with Susan and show her the images taken years ago. I can't wait to see the look on her face when she realizes her lost images are safe. The power of photography is illustrated best by the smile on a mother's face. Susan and her family now have a new house and are trying to rebuild their life. I hope the images from back in 2004 will hang on the wall to serve to make that house a home. God Bless your family Susan.

No comments:

Post a Comment