Tuesday, February 15, 2011

D7000 Redux Review


Some of you may have seen my review of the D7000 when it was announced last year. All I could offer at that point was the stats and my projection of what I thought this camera could do. Now that I own one I have some actual experiences to share about this incredible camera.
I purchased the D7000 in Dec 2010. I've used it for about 3 mos as a back up to my D700. I'm completely blown away by this little camera's performance. It is as good or better than the much more expensive D700.
Firstly, believe it or not the high ISO performance is actually as good or better than the already stellar D700. I can get outstanding images out of this camera at 1600 ISO and usable images at 3200 ISO. Incredible for a DX camera. I never really need to shoot more that 3200 ISO so I won't speak to the insane 6400 and above ISO's. The theory was that DX cameras would never be as good as FX at high ISO. But I'm here to tell you that the D7000 has busted that theory.
Secondly, its much lighter that the D700. I've toyed with the idea of just getting two D7000's and selling the D700 just due to the weight issue. Carrying two D7000's would sure make grueling wedding shots much easier.
Other things the D7000 does better than the D700 are a faster shutter and more mega pixels. I believe the D700 still has the advantage with a superior auto focus system having 53 focus points instead of 39 for the D7000. Also I like the more professional controls and dials on the D700. The D7000 has the consumer grade controls.
So am I going to sell my D700 buy another D7000 and pocket the $1000 worth of difference in the price. Tempting but no. Why you ask. Because the FX camera's allow me to use lens that aren't made for DX. Most professional glass is made for FX camera's. And good glass in my opinion is as important as a good camera. But who knows, after a few more summer wedding's lugging around the D700 I may change my tune. Or maybe I could just get in shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment